BACK TO THE 49TH EDITION OF THE DEAUVILLE AMERICAN FILM FESTIVAL !
This year the Centre International de Deauville, co-organizer of the Deauville American Film Festival, hosted the 49th edition from September 1 to 10, 2023. 10 days of screenings at 3 venues, meetings, red carpets and events to celebrate American cinema at the Deauville Convention Center in Normandy !
The program included a number of film previews
- FIREBRAND by Karim Aïnouz — Opening Film
- ICON OF FRENCH CINEMA by Judith Godrèche, in the presence of the film’s director and crew
- DOGMAN by Luc Besson, in the presence of the film’s director and crew
- THE LAST MEN by David Oelhoffen, with the director
- THE POD GENERATION by Sophie Barthes, in the presence of the director and actress Emilia Clarke
- FITTING IN by Molly McGlynn, in the presence of the director
- SHE CAME TO ME by Rebecca Miller, in the presence of the director
- THE ANIMAL KINGDOM by Thomas Cailley, in the presence of the director
- FALLEN LEAVES by Aki Kaurismäki, in the presence of Thierry Frémaux (general delegate of the Cannes Film Festival)
- THE ABDUCTION by Marco Bellocchio
- GOLDA by Guy Nattiv
- MAY DECEMBER by Todd Haynes, in the presence of the director
- ALL TO PLAY FOR by Delphine Deloget, in the presence of the director and actor Félix Lefebvre
- PARTY OF FOOLS by Arnaud des Pallière, in the presence of the director and actresses Carole Bouquet, Mélanie Thierry, Josiane Balasko and Dominique Frot
- JOIKA by James Napier — Closing Film
- FANCY DANCE by Erica Tremblay
- THE ZONE OF INTEREST by Jonathan Glazer
- THE INSEPARABLES by Jérémie Degruson — Young Audience Screening
Festival-goers were able to enjoy screenings of films in competition, in the presence of their directors.
- LAROY, by Shane Atkinson — Winner of the Grand Prize, the Deauville Public Prize, and the Critics’ Jury Award
- WAYWARD, by Jacquelyn Frohlich
- COLD COPY, by Roxine Helberg
- THE GRADUATES, by Hannah Peterson
- PAST LIVES, by Céline Song
- I.S.S, by Gabriela Cowperthwaite
- RUNNER, by Marian Mathias
- FREMONT, by Babak Jalali — Winner of the Jury Prize
- THE SWEET EAST, by Sean Price Williams — Winner of the Jury Prize and the Louis Roederer Foundation Revelation Award 2023
- BLOOD FOR DUST, by Rod Blackhurst
- MANODROME, by John Trengove
- SUMMER SOLSTICE, by Noah Schamus
- ARISTOTE AND DANTE DISCOVER THE SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE, by Aitch Alberto
- THE FEELING THAT THE TIME FOR DOING SOMETING HAS PASSED, by Joanna Arnow
The festival opened with a tribute to Jerry Schatzberg in the grand auditorium Michel d’Ornano, followed by the inauguration of his booth on Deauville’s renowned boards.
The opening ceremony included a surprise concert by Kyle Eastwood, who had come to Deauville for the release of his new album, a meeting with the artist and a preview screening of the documentary Eastwood Symphonic : A Family Affair, a tribute to the career of Clint Eastwood.
Conversations took place in the Lexington auditorium with director Luc Besson and actress Carole Bouquet, to exchange views with festival-goers on the various American films that have marked their careers and their outlook on cinema.
A round-table discussion was also held in connection with the news that marked the 49th edition: “Grève Hollywood: les mutations du cinéma”, an event organized by the newspaper Le Monde and supported by the Deauville American Film Festival.
Finally, we were honored to welcome actress Emilia Clarke, who received the Prix du nouvel Hollywood, and writer Katie Kitamura, who was awarded the Prix littéraire Lucien-Barrière for her novel INTIMACIES.
The 49th Jury was chaired by Guillaume Canet, and included Alexandre Aja, Anne Berest, Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre, Léa Mysius, Marina Hands from the Comédie-Française, Rebecca Marder, Stéphane Bak and Maxim Nucci (aka Yodelice). As well as the Jury de la Révélation with Mélanie Thierry as president, alongside Félix Lefebvre, Pablo Pauly, Julia Faure, Ramata Toulaye Sy and Cécile Maistre-Chabrol.
Numerous other celebrities walked the red carpet, as did PASS VIP clients of the Palais des congrès de Deauville.
The Festival closed at the Centre International de Deauville with the Palmares evening and private parties on Friday and Saturday at the Villa Le Cercle, hosted by official partner Villa Schweppes.
Until the 50th edition, check out the Best-of and see you from September 6 to 15, 2024!