The eco-responsible event in Normandy
The CID: an eco-responsible convention center in France
Deauville « Innovative sustainable destination »
Deauville has been awarded the “Innovative Sustainable Destination” label in order to accelerate the challenges of sustainable tourism and responsible event planning:
- Deploying open and transparent governance;
- Strengthen sustainable mobility to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050;
- Promote responsible consumption and fight against waste;
- Make tourism a driver of inclusion;
- Enhance the economy and protect the destination’s heritage;
- Mobilize resources to foster sustainable innovation in the tourism sector;
- Involve tourists, professionals and event organizers in the sustainable dynamic;
- Paying specific attention to public safety.
The Deauville Convention Centre is ISO 20121 certified
In Deauville, the convention center is one of the main event spaces dedicated to companies. It is driving change by following the guidelines of the ISO 20121 standard. This international standard aims to reduce the impact of event activities on the environment, it integrates the CSR commitment — Corporate Social Responsibility — of the convention center.
Discover in the section below “How to organize an eco-responsible event at the CID” the concrete actions taken at each stage of the event.
How to organize an eco-responsible event at CID?
Limiting one’s environmental footprint and optimizing waste management: everyone must act on a daily basis to reduce their impact on the environment. The same is true on a larger scale for the business tourism industry. Major professional events must integrate ecological and ethical actions in each of the organization stages: measuring the environmental and societal impact of a professional event is a necessity.
Choosing a venue with a reputation for its ecological approach allows event organizers to be guided and to integrate more responsible practices in the planning of their event.
Applying a sustainable methodology for its events: the key steps
In order to make a concrete commitment to each professional event, the event organizer must rethink each stage of the organization in accordance with the principles of sustainable development. The Deauville Convention Center has made a long-term commitment to a truly ecological approach. By following the principles of ISO 20121 certification, a responsible management standard applied to the event business, the CID integrates the ecological aspect into its organization. Here are the best practices for managing an event:
Limiting the impact of transportation
The travel of participants represents a significant impact on the environment. To decarbonize transportation, consider the following criteria when choosing a location for your event:
- An accessible destination : give priority to public transport and cities with good connections. The train and the bus are for example alternatives to be taken into account. The Deauville Congress Centre is accessible by public transport, which reduces the carbon footprint of individual travel;
- An all-walk event : Does the event location allow you to walk to the event? To answer this question, find out the distances between the accommodation and catering venues and the event venue and any incentive venues;
- Hotels and lodging places that are committed to : Ecolabel, Green Key, High Environmental Quality, HQE label...
The destination Deauville and the CID Centre des Congrès are specialized in the organization of events on foot, they continue their efforts in hosting seminars committed to controlling their carbon footprint.
La restauration pendant l’événement
The CID's catering service and partner caterers are committed to sustainable development. They act on several levels:
- The choice of service providers : the CID's referenced caterers are all local and work themselves with local producers to highlight products from the Normandy region;
- The orders : limit waste by adjusting the quantity to the number of participants;
- Menus : composed with seasonal and local products to limit the impact of transportation, and it's even better!
- The dishes : zero plastic. Reusable or recyclable dishes. Water bottle packaging is mainly made of cardboard and recycled;
- Waste sorting : the caterers referred to the CID are committed to managing and recycling their bio-waste.
Les achats, l’énergie et les déchets
- Adopt an eco-responsible behavior by reducing heating and air conditioning during the assembly and disassembly of events;
- Reduce the use of energy-consuming equipment by installing low-energy lighting equipment;
- Opting for reusable materials : signage for example;
- Waste recovery : CID Deauville scrupulously respects the 5-stream selective sorting mechanism : paper, cardboard, plastic, wood, glass, metal;
- Valuing local know-how and the local economy : CID Deauville is committed to working with local technical, audiovisual, security and cleaning service providers in a relationship of exchange and partnership.
La Gestion de la communication
The communication on the efforts undertaken by the event to reduce its environmental impact must be fair and transparent, it is not about greenwashing.
Adopting responsible communication means integrating the notion of sustainable development in the choice of each communication medium:
- Digital media : our events team will help you to choose digital media (digital ticketing, signage and digital communication):
- Paper supports : the printers referenced at the Convention Center are Imprim'Vert certified, the signage is reusable;
- Derivative products and goodies : the CID manages the Deauville American Film Festival merchandise store: Made in France or at least Made in Europe purchases, sourced products, made by committed service providers... Good news: The offer is becoming denser in the face of growing demand. Prefer to offer your participants a beautiful product rather than a multitude of goodies that will most certainly end up in a drawer!
Penser à l'environnement dans l'organisation d'événements : les avantages
An event that integrates more responsible practices in its organization will have strong impacts and spin-offs:
- Increasing adherence to the company's values. Internally with employees: employees feel involved in an approach that makes sense. Externally with service providers, suppliers, partners, customers and prospects: a company's social and environmental responsibility approach strengthens its ties with the local and regional economic fabric;
- Encourage eco-responsible practices. Raising awareness of eco-responsibility among participants and partners;
- Improve its reputation : the committed and responsible event becomes in line with the values of the company and its actors;
With all these elements, you are ready to organize an eco-responsible event at the Palais des Congrès CID Deauville !